Dark Knuckles; Causes and Remedies
Individuals with skin conditions should consult the best skin specialist in Islamabad. A competent and reliable specialist will help diagnose the cause of the skin condition and provide guidance regarding effective treatment options to enhance skin health.
People want bright, firm, and even-toned skin. The appearance reflects confidence and social functioning; hence, people must monitor bodily changes and opt for treatments to prevent complications. Dark knuckles can indicate multiple health-related conditions. The causes of dark knuckles include:
Individuals who notice red spots and dark knuckles are more likely to suffer from acanthosis nigricans. The condition can affect multiple body parts, such as the groin, face, breasts, and female genitalia. The factors that can increase the likelihood of suffering from acanthosis nigricans include; obesity, family history, and medical conditions such as;
- Suffering From Diabetes: Individuals who experience skin discoloration and other symptoms of fluctuation in blood sugar levels can notice deterioration in their physical health. The individual can notice the change in the color of the knuckles. They become patchy and dark. However, the person must take medications and lifestyle modifications to see a drastic change in the overall health. The dermatologist will provide guidance regarding the creams that will enhance the appearance.
- Hormonal Changes: Women suffering from PCOS can notice multiple skin-related problems. The thyroid and adrenal hormone changes can affect the skin’s health. The individual may notice darkened knuckles along with hirsutism. However, the person will notice the visible change if they make relevant lifestyle changes to manage the symptoms of PCOS.
- Cancer: People suffering from colon and liver cancer may experience a change in their skin health. They can notice discoloration, dark knuckles, and patchy skin.
- Dermatomyositis: It is a condition in which the individual suffers from muscle inflammation that causes rashes near the joints. It causes knuckle hyperpigmentation; thus, the individual must take proper medications to manage the symptoms.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B-12: People of all age groups need to monitor their water and dietary intake to improve the overall functioning of the body organs. The deficiency of vitamin B-12 can cause skin problems. The individual can notice knuckle hyperpigmentation that affects appearance and confidence. Thus, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle and consume organic food.
- Suffering from Addison’s Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder that affects the adrenal levels in the body. The fluctuation causes hormonal imbalance, which affects bodily functions. Individuals diagnosed with Addison’s disease can notice dark and patchy knuckles.
- Suffering from Raynaud’s Disease: The blood vessels narrow down due to extreme weather conditions. It can affect skin color and movement. The individual experiencing the symptoms can also notice knuckles becoming dark.
- Side Effects of Drugs: Individuals who consume antidepressants, NSAIDs, anticoagulants, and antiretrovirals are more likely to suffer from multiple side effects, which may affect their skin health. The drugs can cause hyperpigmentation; thus, individuals must only consume medications as per the instruction of the specialist.
The remedies that can help reduce knuckle hyperpigmentation are:
- Use of Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin that helps synthesize melanin. It helps reduce skin darkness and provides the individual with even-toned skin. Individuals should mix turmeric powder with water and apply it to the knuckles for five minutes. Rinse with tap water and repeat the remedy three times a week.
- Use of Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps reduce hyperpigmentation and helps brighten the skin tone. Individuals with dark knuckles should use vitamin C serum daily.
- Use of Green Tea: The tyrosinase in green tea helps lighten dark knuckles. The individual can apply the wet teabag on the knuckles for 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
People with dark knuckles with medical conditions must consult a skin specialist to seek guidance regarding effective treatment options to enhance their appearance without further complications.