Every Netgear range extender comes with a default network name. Considering it’s a default SSID, anybody out there can access it. Accessing the SSID means that your home network can be hacked and your personal data can be stolen. To prevent this from happening, do you know what is required? Well, changing the network name of your Netgear Nighthawk extender.
Are you wondering how that can be done? It’s quite simple. You can walk through the guidelines outlined in this post and learn how Netgear_ext can be changed.
How to Change Netgear Extender Network Name?
- Plug your Netgear Nighthawk extender into a non-damaged wall outlet.
- Hit the power button to turn on your extender.
- Let the LED become solid green.
- Connect the extender to the router via a wired or wireless medium.
- Make sure that the connection between them is stable.
- Switch on your system [computer or laptop].
- Take your attention to the web address field.
- Double click on it.
- The mouse cursor will start blinking.
- Insert www.mywifiext.net in the address bar.
- Hit Enter.
- The login portal will demand the admin password and username.
- Provide the required details and hit Log In.
- The BASIC Home screen will display.
- Go to Settings and then click on the Wireless Setup button.
- Enter your network name under the Name [SSID] field.
- Thereafter, type the new network name again for confirmation.
- Click on the Apply button.
- Within a matter of seconds, your changes will get saved.
In this way, you will successfully be able to change the network name of your Netgear wireless range extender.
Many users get stuck with issues while going about the process. To ensure that you don’t get entangled in the same web, walk through the following tips.
- Adequate Power Supply
First of all, make sure that your Netgear Nighthawk extender is properly connected to the wall outlet. We are saying this because if isn’t connected well, it won’t be able to receive an adequate power supply.
- Finger-tight Cable Connections
Remember when we gave you the choice to connect your extender and home router using either a wired or wireless medium? Well, if you chose the first option, then ensure that the cable has no deep cuts on it and it shouldn’t be worn out. Also, see to it that the cable is tightly connected to the ports of both the devices.
- Updated Firmware
The firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk extender should be running on its latest version. If you are wondering how the firmware of your device can be updated, then know that all you have to do is, access Settings > Administration > Firmware Update. Thereafter, take walk through the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Compatible Web Address
Many users are using a Mac device to log in to their extenders via mywifiext.net, not realizing that the web address is not compatible with the device. To keep yourself from making the same mistake, use mywifiext local if you are using a Mac device to achieve Netgear extender login success.
- Right Login Credentials
See to it that you enter only the correct password and username on the Netgear extender login portal. Avoid entering the details into each other’s fields. Instead, input them into their respective fields. Are you not so sure about the default login credentials of your extender? Consider taking your attention to the user manual.
- Avoid WiFi Interference
Last, but not least, keep your Netgear range extender away from cordless phones, baby monitors, treadmills, televisions, Bluetooth speakers, washing machines, refrigerators, microwave ovens, and other smart home appliances.
Additionally, do not place your extender near utensils containing a large amount of water, reflexive surfaces, and thick concrete walls. The reason being, such appliances can block the signals emitted from your extender thereby impacting its productivity and stopping you from changing its network name [SSID].
With that, we are ending our guide written on how to change the Netgear extender network name. We expect that after walking through the guidelines given above, you were successfully able to change the SSID of your device. If what we are hoping for is true, then it is recommended that you leave some words of appreciation. You can do that by dropping a comment in the section below.