November 28, 2023

With 64 matches to be played in the 2022 FIFA World Cup in November, the last thing anyone needs is to stop matches to review penalties. We hope the latest FIFA smart technology can help with that.

The governing body of international football announce It will start using what it calls “semi-automated stealth technology” to find out if a player is offside, without lengthy review. For those (like me) who aren’t soccer experts, this Al-Qaeda It states that the player attacking the opponent’s goal cannot be closer to the goal than the ball and the second closest opponent player.

In other words, if the only thing between you and the goal is the goalkeeper while you don’t have the ball, you’re offside. It’s the kind of thing that stops playing regularly and can be hard to spot because all it takes is half an inch of someone’s knee to be closer to the goal than their opponent for it to count as an offside. FIFA is installing 12 special tracking cameras around the stadiums (And put a sensor inside the ball itself) to measure the positions of the players and the position of the ball.

If this new technology detects an offside penalty, the men in the video operations room receive an alert, take a few seconds to verify it, and inform a referee on the field. Once confirmed by all parties, a 3D animation showing the offside penalty is quickly generated, before being shown to people in the stands and those watching TV at home.

Personally, I can’t wait to see one of those 3D animations break terribly and show a guy’s knee where his head should be or something.

Even if you are a non-football fan, the potential benefits of this new system are very clear. I follow many Americans who get up at odd hours on weekends to watch English football on Twitter, and they are continuously Disturbed by the Video Assistant Referee (or VAR) system currently in place to review calls. Not only does that slow matches down, but relying on human referees reviewing shots frame by frame can lead to calls that are, for some, somewhat subjective.

In fact, a Study 2021 He found that only 26 percent of the Premier League (the highest level in English football) supports the use of VAR. Getting the remaining 74 percent of English football fans to approve of anything would be a real achievement. Hope Is that the use of artificial intelligence and clear visual data to identify intrusion calls will eliminate many of the problems surrounding VAR technology.

If it doesn’t, my Twitter feed will be a lot more messy than usual in November.

See also:

30 NBA Twitter Accounts You Should Follow

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *