Wimbledon, England – Wimbledon quarter-final champion Nick Kyrgios is due to appear in court in Australia next month, and a lawyer representing him said on Tuesday that the “accurate nature” of the allegations “is not confirmed at this moment nor confirmed by the prosecution or” a professional tennis player reported. She is 27 years old.
The Australian newspaper “Canberra Times” reported, Kyrgios has been summoned “to appear in a Canberra court following allegations of assaulting an ex-girlfriend late last year”.
In a statement emailed to the media, Kyrgios’ attorney Pierre Johansen wrote that “the allegations are not considered facts” by the court, and that Kyrgios is not “considered” accused of a crime until his first court appearance.
According to “Canberra Times” The possible charge relates to an allegation that Kyrgios kidnapped former partner Chiara Pasari.
Kyrgios trained at Wimblephone on Tuesday, and the All England Club confirmed he is set to play a quarter-final match against Chile’s Christian Garen on Wednesday.
“While Mr. Kyrgios is committed to addressing any and all allegations as soon as they become clear, taking the matter seriously does not guarantee any misreading of the process Mr. Kyrgios has to follow,” Johansen wrote.
Wednesday’s match against Garin is the third Grand Slam quarter-final match of the Australian’s career – he’s 0-2 in the other matches – and the first in 7-1/2 years.
An All England Club spokesperson said on Tuesday: “We have been made aware of the legal proceedings relating to Nick Kyrgios in Australia and, as it is ongoing, we are not in a position to provide comment.” “We are in contact with Nick’s team and they are still scheduled to play the quarter-final match tomorrow.”
Wimbledon:Djokovic survives five sets and reaches the semi-finals
Sports newsletter: Subscribe now to get daily updates sent to your inbox
Police in Canberra, Australia, where Kyrgios grew up and is based, issued the following statement: “ACT Police can confirm that a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face ACT Magistrates’ Court in relation to one count of common assault following an incident in December ( December) 2021”.
A person convicted of such an offense could face up to two years in prison.
A Canberra police spokesman told The Associated Press on Wednesday that no further statements were planned and that any additional information about the case likely would not be made public until the August 2 court date.
A spokesperson for the ATP men’s tennis tour wrote in an email: “The ATP is aware of the Australian case involving Nick Kyrgios but as legal proceedings are ongoing, it is inappropriate to comment further at this time.”