Lake County Attorney General Eric Reinhart has called for a state and national ban on assault weapons in the wake of the mass shooting at the Fourth of July parade that left seven dead and dozens injured in Highland Park, Illinois.
Rinehart, a Highland Park resident, appeared at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce that Robert Cremo, the alleged Highland Park mass shooter, had been charged with seven counts of first-degree murder, and said more charges against Cremo would be issued. almost.
He has also used his platform to call on elected officials to strengthen gun control measures as the United States grapples with another spate of mass shootings by alleged shooters who legally purchased their firearms.
“We should also ban assault weapons in Illinois and beyond,” Reinhart said. “The assault weapons ban was implemented in 1994 with bipartisan support and with the support of law enforcement. It lasted for ten years, and studies have shown that mass shootings like what happened yesterday decreased during those ten years. We should have the same ban in Illinois and beyond.” .
The crowd gathered in front of the podium and cheered as Mr. Reinhart called for a new ban on assault weapons.
Mr. Reinhart also praised Illinois’s red flag law designed to get guns out of the hands of people who are considered a threat to themselves or their communities, but said the state must work to raise awareness of how it works.
“Illinois has a strong red flag law that keeps communities safe and respects the rights of everyone,” Reinhart said. “We must raise awareness and educate about this red flag law called the Firearms Restriction Order in Illinois.”
Cremo may be another poster child for flaws in the United States’ gun control system. The 21-year-old, who wore women’s clothing during the shooting, legally purchased the powerful firearm he used and had the past of a former high school classmate Tell NBC News It was full of “red flags”.
More to follow…