October 5, 2022

Britney Greiner is driven from a Russian courtroom on the first day of the trial

More than four months after her arrest in Moscow, American women’s basketball star Britney Grenier appeared in a Russian court on Friday in what was expected to be the start of her trial on drug charges.

The 31-year-old athlete was seen arriving at the Khimki City Court outside Moscow handcuffed shortly after noon local time, in the presence of US embassy staff.

Then she heard the charges against her, including intentionally transporting drugs. Reports said Grenier, who faces up to 10 years in prison in Russia, accepted the charges and did not file a petition.

A hub for Phoenix Mercury, Griner played for UMMC Ekaterinburg in Russia during the off-season WNBA, and was arrested on her way home when Russian airport officials said they found vape cartridges with traces of cannabis oil — a crime in the country.

Reports say lawyers for Greiner – whose wife has pleaded with US President Joe Biden to meet her and secure the release of the WNBA star – believe the trial will last two months. Procedures will resume on Thursday 7 July.

1657003500

Fellow WNBA star A’Ja Wilson calls for the release of her “sister” Brittney Griner

Britney Greiner’s continued detention has taken a heavy toll on her fellow WNBA players.

Aja Wilson of the Las Vegas Aces recently had this emotional message about how her “sister” Mrs. Greiner was released.

Oliver O’Connell5 July 2022 07:45

1656996300

The “Bring Britney Home” sign was released in Washington Square

On Friday, a large-scale digital billboard appeared outside Washington, D.C., calling for Russia to release Britney Grenier.

Sports journalist Tamryn Sproul said in the newspaper press release. But what inspires hope is the constant flow of public support and media attention. Now, we’ve reached new heights, with these billboards rising at this very critical juncture. When people look at them, I want them to see their partners, daughters, sisters, and friends. Mostly, I want them to see for themselves. Because none of us is free until we are all free.”

Nearly 300,000 have signed a Change.org petition calling for the release of the WNBA star.

Oliver O’Connell5 July 2022 05:45

1656989137

Britney Greiner has chosen an honorary member of the team before the All-Star Game

WBA Commissioner Kathy Engelberg said there was “no doubt” that the Phoenix Mercury star would be on the team if she was not detained in Russia.

“It is not hard to imagine that if BG were with us this season, she would be chosen again,” Ms. Engelberg He said in the current situation.

Mrs. Griner, has been a member of the entire league’s team every year since entering the WNBA in 2013.

Oliver O’Connell5 July 2022 03:45

1656981937

Former US ambassador to Russia draws attention to other detained Americans

Former US ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul says Britney Greiner was a victim of Vladimir Putin’s “evil authoritarian” regime, and the diplomat urges the public to remember that she is not the only one.

On Friday, McFaul drew attention to Paul Wellen and Mark Vogel, who are being held in Russia on espionage and drug charges, respectively.

“Britney Greiner, Paul Whelan and Mark Vogel should be brought home,” the former ambassador wrote on Twitter.

Oliver O’Connell5 July 2022 01:45

1656974737

When will Britney Grenier return to court?

WNBA star Britney Greiner is on trial in Russia.

On Friday, Ms Greiner appeared in court and was caged during the proceedings, as prosecutors accused her of transporting a “large amount” of cannabis oil in his luggage at an airport in the Moscow region last February.

Her next court date is July 7, at 2:30 p.m. in Khimki, a Moscow suburb.

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 23:45

1656972771

Greiner writes to Biden asking for help getting freedom from Russia

Russian authorities arrested Ms Greiner in February after customs officials found cartridges containing cannabis oil in her luggage.

In the excerpts shared by her representatives, she wrote: “Since I am sitting here in a Russian prison, alone with my thoughts and without the protection of my wife, family, friends, Olympic jersey or any accomplishments, I am forever terrified here.”

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 23:12

1656971137

Journalist held hostage by Iranians criticizes US response to Grenier affair

Jason Rezaian knows a thing or two about international hostage situations.

He was the former Tehran bureau chief for Washington Post He was held for nearly two years in an Iranian prison on trumped-up espionage charges until he was released in 2016.

Earlier this year, he criticized how the United States responded to the Britney Greiner case.

The US government needs a stronger response to these cases. He should make it clear that if the arrest of an American turns out to be politically motivated, there will be quick and dangerous consequences. The current, long-standing general approach of responding in a diplomatic and non-committal tone, so as not to further irritate the hostage-taking nations, actually ensures the opposite: it leaves our citizens languishing in prison, often for years, and signals to perpetrators that they can get away with it.

Crucially, the United States must begin to view hostage-taking as a serial crime committed by the same perpetrators and develop effective and credible deterrents.

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 22:45

1656967537

Dozens of groups are calling for the release of Britney Grenier

The Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBPA), the Human Rights Campaign, the GLAAD, the NAACP, the National Urban League, and a host of other human rights, LGBTQ+ and sports organizations have written a letter to Vice President Kamala Harris calling on the Biden administration to do more. for the release of Britney Greiner.

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 21:45

1656966384

Greiner writes a letter to Biden asking for help

Britney Greiner wrote a letter to President Joe Biden asking for help freeing her from prison in Russia.

In another segment, she told the president, “On the Fourth of July, our family usually honors the service of those who fought for our freedom, including my father who was a Vietnam War veteran. It hurts to think about the way I usually celebrate This day because freedom means something completely different to me this year.”

She further says, “I realize you’re dealing with a lot, but please don’t forget me and the other American detainees. Please do whatever you can to get us home. I voted for the first time in 2020 and voted for you. I trust you.”

Ms. Greiner adds: “I still have so much to do with my freedom that you can help get it back. I miss my wife! I miss my family! I miss my teammates! It kills me to know they are suffering so much right now. I am grateful for everything you can do at this moment to get me back. Home “.

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 21:26

1656963937

Recap: What Happened to WNBA Star Britney Grenier?

While WNBA star Britney Greiner awaits her trial in Russia, you can follow the details of the case and how US authorities are responding to her detention:

Oliver O’ConnellJuly 4, 2022 20:45