October 4, 2022
Ian Poulter played at the second LIV Golf event in Portland, Oregon last week

Ian Poulter will be allowed to play in the Scottish Open this week after upholding an appeal against his ban.

The Englishman had entered the tournament leading up to next week’s 150th Open in St Andrews.

But the European-based DP World Tour banned Poulter and 15 other players because they joined the Saudi-funded LIV Golf Invitational Series.

Keith Bailey, head of DP World, said he was “disappointed with the outcome” but that he would “stick with the decision”.

Bailey added in a statement: “It is important to remember, however, that this is merely a suspension of the sanctions imposed, pending the players’ appeals as to whether those sanctions are appropriate.

“The formation of the Genesis Scottish Open field will be advised in due course, but based on this decision, the size of the field will increase beyond 156.

“We will make further comments on this in due course, but not during our time at Adare Manor.”

Bailey at the Irish venue that will host the 2027 Ryder Cup of the Pro-Am charity event.

The DP World Tour statement confirmed that “after a hearing before HHJ Sycamore CBE, appointed by Sport Resolutions (UK), the suspensions imposed on Ian Poulter, Adrian Otaejoy and Justin Harding have been temporarily suspended, pending a decision on their substantive appeal by the Appeals Committee. . right on time’.

Earlier, Poulter, who is also at Adare Manor, told BBC Sport he was “fighting for his right to play golf” and confirmed he had taken legal action against his ban from the Scottish Open.

“My commitment to the European Tour has been there since day one,” he said.

“And it’s still there today. I’m so proud to play, when at the expense of the World Rankings and FedEx Cup points I could have earned more playing in America.”

Poulter is also among those who have been indefinitely suspended by the PGA Tour for registration in the LIV Project. The Scottish Open, which begins at the Renaissance Club in East Lothian on Thursday, is subject to joint sanctions between the US Circuit and the DP World Tour.

“I am disappointed and insulted to have been suspended from golf on a tour I have played for 24 years,” Poulter added.

Players are suspended after playing the opening LIV events which are 54-hole shotgun starting tournaments. The first was held at the Centurion Club in Hertfordshire last month, and the second was held in Portland, Oregon last week.

The PGA and DP World Tours have refused waivers to give players permission to compete in these $25m (£20m) tournaments. Several, including Poulter, have signed lucrative contracts with LIV Golf.

In a statement released last Friday, Bailey said: “Before joining LIV Golf, players knew there would be consequences if they chose money over competition.

“A lot of them at the time understood that and accepted it. In fact, as one player said in a media interview earlier this year, ‘If they banned me, they banned me.'”

“It is unreasonable that some are now surprised by the measures we have taken.”

In addition to being banned from the Scottish Open, European Tour rebels who played the opening event were also fined £100,000.

“We didn’t know what the consequences of playing for the Liv team would be,” Poulter said. “We knew there was going to be some form of action, but that was never explained to us, and I feel the measures they have taken have been very harsh.

“I was allowed to play in Japan, in Korea, all over the world actually, without any penalties. I even missed Wentworth for one year to play Colonial. That was fine. But it’s not.

“Because of my commitment to golf, I’ve missed seeing my kids grow up and take their first steps and so many other family moments.

“Now I have a chance to spend more time at home, earn a lot of money – and at 46 the game hasn’t become easier, so why not take advantage of it?”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.